Pembrokeshire Historical Society
Summer Events 2015
Saturday, 16 May – A trip to the National Library of Wales with Guided Tour
At the National Library there will be a guided tour of the exhibition ‘Publisher or Plunderer? : Sir John Prise and the first Welsh Books.’
Sir John Prise was one of Wales’ foremost Renaissance figures. He amassed a superb personal library of printed books and manuscripts, including the earliest manuscript in Welsh, the Black Book of Carmarthen. This exhibition will look at the life and work of this remarkable ‘Tudor Man’ and is a rare opportunity to view the monastic plunder which fell into his hands on the dissolution of the monasteries including treasures which, for a while, will be released from their chains at Hereford Cathedral Library.
Transport – will either be by shared cars or coach from Haverfordwest depending on the response
Saturday, 13 June – A guided tour of Cardigan Castle
After an £11 million and 12 year restoration programme, Cardigan Castle has opened its doors to the public. The 900 year old castle was the setting for the first Eisteddfod in 1176 and its ownership was hotly contested by Normans and Welsh until Gilbert, Earl of Pembroke, rebuilt it in 1244. The castle was largely destroyed in the Civil War and what remained was used as a prison. In the early 18th century a mansion, Castle Green House, was built within the walls and the recent restoration programme includes the mansion and its 18th century garden.
We have arranged a guided tour at a cost of £5.00 per person.
Meet at the Castle gate at 10.00 p.m.
Saturday, 18 July – The Story of Tenby
A walking tour of Tenby led by local historian, Marion Davies, has been arranged. The tour lasts approximately an hour and a half and will outline Tenby’s history as an important port until it was
devastated by war and plague in the mid-seventeenth century. Its revival in the late Georgian and early Victorian period as a fashionable resort was largely due to the efforts of Sir William Paxton whose estate, Middleton Hall, is now the site of the National Botanic Garden of Wales.
The tour costs £5.00 per person.
Meet outside the Yorkshire Building Society in Tudor Square (opposite Tesco Express) at 10.30 a.m.
Saturday, 19 September – Stepaside Industrial Heritage Park
Dr Peter Claughton of Exeter University will conduct us around this fascinating relic of our industrial past. Coal has been mined in Pleasant Valley since the 14th century and by the early 19th century there were over 12 collieries around Stepaside; the ironworks was constructed nearby in 1848. A railway was built to link these industrial activities with Saundersfoot Harbour in 1835 and our tour will follow the route of that line (approx. 1.9 miles and 2 hours).
Meet in the Stepaside Ironworks free car park at 10.30 a.m.